jonathon narvey's ESL CENTRE

A VANCOUVER ENGLISH-AS-A-SECOND-LANGUAGE TEACHER'S LINKS TO HIS FAVORITE ONLINE TEACHING RESOURCES, WITH ADVICE AND COMMENTARY FOR ESL TEACHERS.

Thursday, March 09, 2006

A rewarding career in teaching

Most teachers I know are hardworking, ethical, interesting people who could probably be making a lot more money in some other career.

Some of them eventually do come to their senses and go on to careers that will enable them to actually buy a house in Vancouver's insane real-estate market (average price of a house in a nice neighborhood: $1 million).

Of course, teaching does have its own, (decidedly non-financial) rewards. It is gratifying to see the virtually instantaneous effect of teaching a language. I'm always proud to hear my students actually using the phrases outside of the classroom I've imparted to them only moments ago. And of course, I've formed countless friendships with people from all over the world; after they go back to their countries, I may never see them again, but that doesn't take anything away from the experience we've shared.

Students are often kind enough to leave a token of their appreciation when they graduate - a note, a card or a photograph. I've scanned a few of these, which can be viewed here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home